Friday, March 15, 2013

Muslim and His Neighbor: Melakans


Before this I heard many things about orang Melaka. They said orang Melaka don’t like Johoreans, they are very rude when talking to others, bila orang datang ke rumah dia sambut dengan “puji-pujian” dulu lepas tu baru dipelawanya masuk. Either all those things are true or not, you have to meet one truly pure Melakans and be friend with them only then you can know things for sure. *smile*

For me, I have been staying in Melaka for almost 5 months now and so far I think Melaka is a very nice place to stay. The people here are nice too. There was one time when I was on my way back walking to the hostel from  Melaka General Hospital, one Pakcik offered me a ride to the hostel.  At that moment I was like faith in humanity is restored. *smile* I feel comfortable to say “morning uncle!” to the uncle at the grocery shop and to my new neighbors. This morning only when I sapu sampah kat luar, the uncle next door say morning to me and we had a morning talk macam makcik-makcik in those typical Malay dramas, I was cleaning the drain and he was watering the flowers (hehehe). When people are being nice to us, smile, say hello, you’ll feel happy and it makes your day even more wonderful and ceria kan.

Kita hidup bermasyarakat kena la “mesra alam”, bukan dengan geng-geng kita je, dengan orang berlainan agama dan bangsa pun kita kena mesra juga la. Because some people are not like that, they restrict their good treatment only to neighbors who are related to him or who are Muslims. There was a story, Abdullah ibn  Amr had a sheep salughtered and he asked his slave,

“Did you give some meat to our Jewish neighbor? For I heard the Prophet say, ‘Jibreel kept on enjoining the good treatment of neighbors to the extent that I thought he would include neighbors as heirs,” (Bukhari and Muslim)

“Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them, for Allah loves those who are just.”  (Quran 60:8)

So be nice to those people around you, smile to them, InsyaAllah people will be nice to us and our loved ones.

A.Khairul

No comments: