Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Am I Going To Be A Good Doctor?


Many times when I was waiting for the class to commence, I’ll be looking around watching my friends chatting with each other, laughing, eating, reading. And when the class is about to start, there always 2 or 3 person that will enter the class after that. We are lucky because all the lecturers here are nice and not that strict (although there are some that very strict). Sometimes I do wonder why they can’t be in class on time? During first year maybe they overslept since our class started at 8am but now in second year we start at 9am. I said this to myself, once the teacher is already in the class I’ll not enter the class. That I can promise.

Being a medical student is tough, I assure you that. We can’t help ourselves from being so sleepy in class sometimes. Even though I feel super-ngantuk­, I’ll try my best to get a hold of my eye to not fall asleep in class. How amazing some of my friends can just sleep through-out the lecture!! I can see the lecturers do notice them sleeping in their class. You can say “alah~ they sure understand. We study till late night, that’s why we were damn tired in class”. Again we are so lucky because some of the lecturers very understanding.

I asked this question to myself. Will all people be lenient like that? I mean I’m going to be a doctor in the future and people, patient, the community will observe every little thing that I do. How punctual the doctor is? Does the doctor treat the patient with respect or not? How does he communicate with the patient? Does the doctor talk bad about the patient when he/she is not around? So many times I heard my family and my friends complaint about their meeting with those not-so-polite doctors and they keep reminding me “ Nanti bila dah jadi doctor, jangan buat macam tu?”

You see it’s not just me, people are observing us Doctors and Future-Doctors!!! The career that I choose requires me to communicate with people most of the times, and either I like it or not ATTITUDE does matter. Of course we don’t want people to say

Ceh, kalau orang cakap kat depan pun dia tak boleh respect inikan lagi orang sakit”

“Apalah Doktor ni masuk duty lambat. Ni mesti masa sekolah dulu pun kaki masuk kelas lambat”

“Hampeh punya doctor. Dia ingat dia doctor, aku nurse so dia lagi hebat!!??”

These are all the possible comments that me and my friends are going to get once we become physician. Bad comments obviously not good for business right!! So all of these are going to be a reminder for me and my friends who InsyaAllah are going to be doctors, to start training ourselves to be a good, humble and generous doctors. Brain and Heart if I may say are the most important organs in our body. To be a good doctor I believe we need those two also if you know what I mean.

Khairul

4 comments:

wankhai said...

that is what differentiates professionals and non-professionals, love.

truthfully speaking, I am quite relaxed with students sleeping in the class. I do not think that it is disrespectful- but I will take it very negatively if the ones sleeping accuse the teacher's incompetence to justify his/her lack of achievement in learning.

but, in terms of work ethics, I think we do have to be strict on that. I had faced many teachers who publicly humiliate their students in the classroom, who talk very badly with their colleagues about certain kids in class...

I am quite okay with the idea of sharing students' problem with other students- so that they could come up with strategies and formulas to tackle the problem. after all, we are human. we do share bad things as a chat topic.

professionalism.

haha. baru je 30 minit lepas buat esei 2-3 pages pasal profesionalism masa exam tadi haha.

A.KHAIRUL said...

somehow I still think that sleeping intentionally when someone giving a talk in front, is quite rude. Unless you are so tired i guess that'll be fine. =D

And I do agree with you. To share someone's problem for others to learn from it and making fun of others problem are two different things that we should know.

p/s: i think you did great in your essay paper. hahaha

Sabrina said...

hey hey, better late than never come!! do enter the class even when ur late!

Anonymous said...

great blog If you are the type to update your blog regulary, then you have gained one daily reader in me today. keep up the super work.